Monday, September 28, 2015

Monday Musings

No pictures in this post... just some thoughts for this beautiful (and hot) Monday afternoon!

I wish my students knew...

...that when they greet me each morning, it puts a smile on my face.

...that I secretly write down the cute, adorable, hysterical, and unknowingly inappropriate things they say.

...that my heart bursts with pride when they work so hard to learn something. And when that light bulb lights up, I do somersaults inside -- and sometimes real cartwheels.

...that when they don't know something, they've come to the right place!

...that it's not really an allergy attack that made my eyes water, but something precious and innocent that they've said that brings tears to my eyes.

...that I want to hug them when they "boo" at the dismissal bell.

...that they make my day when they tell their parents all about theirs.

...that when they quote me without knowing they're doing so, I give myself a pat on the back.

...that when they do something I've taught them, I can't help but feel overwhelmed with pride.

...that there's no such thing as "bad."

...that they should enjoy every minute of their childhood. It passes too quickly. 

...that they will always be my kids. 

...that I will always think of them as second graders, even when they're not.


I wish my students' parents knew...

...that I am so incredibly appreciative of and thankful for their support.

...that their little words of encouragement -- whether said in the morning at drop off or at night in an email -- make all the difference in the world.

...that sometimes I know it's hard for them that I get to be with their kids more than they do.

...that I get emotional, too.

...that life gets stressful, and sometimes you just don't get around to homework. And that's OK.

...that kids are kids and they're going to make mistakes, get into trouble, make poor choices, or hurt somebody's feelings more than once at some point in their time growing up.

...that there's no such thing as "bad."

...that it's hard to say good-bye to my own kids in the morning, too.

...that it takes me many, many hours to plan a week's worth of lessons. And that's by choice.

...that that one thing about their child that they worry about keeps me up at night, too.

...that my brain never quite shuts off when it comes to how to best reach their child.

...that their child's mind is pretty remarkable.

...that they are so much more than "just a second grader."

...that their children are incredible perceptive individuals who like to disclose all the precious, personal details of home life. 

...their child's full potential.

...that they truly are their child's primary educator.

...that they will always be my kids.

...that I know how hard parenting can be.

...that life can get stressful, but second grade shouldn't be.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment