Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Reading Response Pages

In my ten years of teaching, I always scratched my head whenever it came to implementing a successful reading homework program. I wanted my kids to read, but more than that, I wanted them to continue to build their love of reading, which we work on extensively in the classroom. I've tried all sorts of reading logs, reading homework, reading pages, summary sheets, book reports... you name it, I've tried it. And it always boiled down to the worst two words you could possibly use when describing homework -- BUSY WORK. (gasp!)

So after researching, tweaking, rewriting, and tweaking again, I finally came up with something that I think works really well in my classroom.

Introducing: READING RESPONSES! 
(In the words of my 2nd graders: "Ooooooh! Ahhhhh!")



What is it?
Reading Response sheets allow my students to record, or respond to, their nightly reading. Each night, they are assigned to one particular prompt. The prompts directly coincide with the reading strategies I am teaching in the classroom (character, setting, main idea, details, summarizing, etc.).  Throughout the first months of the school year, as we work on these strategies,  my students are also reinforcing the skills at home by writing a few sentences each night.

As the year progresses, the responses change and become more challenging. The first trimester responses include a space for drawing and illustrating, along with some writing ledgers to help keep my students' sentences neat.



The second trimester takes the skills built upon in the first trimester and takes it a step further. Now, students are expected to explain their answers using detailed writing. The ledger lines are still there, but the space for drawing a picture is gone. At the bottom of each nightly entry are  boxes where students will need to check off that they used correct punctuation, capitalization, best guess spelling (I never take off points for spelling) and writing detailed sentences.



After building on these skills all year, the last trimester takes it one step above. Last year, I was amazed by how much my students grew. They completely took what was taught in the classroom and applied it to their work at home. The writing prompts became more challenging, and the ledger lines and checklists were removed. I noticed a tremendous change in my students' writing, both on their homework responses and in the classroom.



As a side note, I'm not a huge homework proponent. I assign a little math and some reading and this, and that's pretty much it (unless we're working on projects, in which case, I send home a little bit at a time and give plenty of time). I've made major adjustments to this homework for students who were spending so much time on it at home. For the first month or so, it usually takes some kids about 20 minutes to complete. You'll always have kids who are fighting their parents with homework, in which case, homework becomes an hour long struggle. In this case, I usually work with them on it in the classroom one-on-one or in small groups until they get the hang of it and I set my timer while they work. They can usually complete it within 15 minutes -- and in better quality than they were doing at home -- and then I tell them that I expect the same type of work habit at home. It works like a charm 99% of the time.

Look at this gorgeous, reading-bead worthy work!

I'm also not opposed to some students dictating their responses to parents. I just make sure to explain to parents that they are to write exactly what their child says, and then they need to read it over together. Usually, in 2nd grade, they tend to move out of that dictation phase as their writing skills improve (Thank you, writer's workshop!!)

As an added bonus, I always include an *optional* response for the weekend. I never take points away from my students if they don't complete the weekend response. But, for those who do, and who do it very well (with effort and detail), I reward them with a Reading Bead. I have a bulletin board display in my classroom that holds their necklaces so they can see the beads grow throughout the year. When they reach certain milestones, they earn a brag tag! Last year, I had 10 students make it to 40 beads!!!  Every week is a new color or different type of bead. (I buy the bead kids from Michael's), and I note which one they have earned right on their Reading Response page by coloring in the circle with whatever color bead we are on.




You can find both of these products -- my Reading Response homework and Brag Tag Reward system -- in my TpT shop on sale throughout the weekend!  The Reading Response sheets come in 2 versions -- trimester/beads and leveled/no beads [by leveled, I mean that the trimesters are not labeled on the form]. There are 22 different brag tags included in the pack!



I hope these products help your students build their love of reading as much as it has with mine! And please leave feedback for me so I can hear all about it! :)

1 comment:

  1. Totally love this, and from a mommy/teacher perspective, it makes so much sense! (I love how you intro the process as well!) Drew's teacher last as well as his one this year does something similar and I have always loved it. Why, oh why, didn't I do this as a teacher???? If you ever want a peak into Drew's for more topics, let me know, and I can snap a picture.

    ReplyDelete