Friday, August 14, 2015

Super F: Five For Friday and a FREEBIE!

I'm linking up with Doodlebugs today for my *FIRST* Five for Friday & a FREEBIE special!

Wow, that's a lot of F's :)

[fiveforfriday2_thumb%255B3%255D%255B4%255D.jpg]


[Divider%25201%255B5%255D.png]



The other day I did some shopping for my classroom [which always makes my husband's heart rate accelerate], and I came across this giant book at Big Lots. It was only $3.50! I thought it was super cute..but then, I found these chalkboard stickers! Definitely needed those... But wait, there's more! Then I added some washi tape to the binding and TA-DA! There you have it!

Now if I only stop and write down those fleeting thoughts that all seem to come late at night or early in the morning when I'm bound to forget...


Now, just as an aside here, what is it about chalkboards that makes us all go crazy? You know exactly what I'm talking about. You could make a chalkboard toilet, and you know every teacher's lounge in America would have to have one. But the funny thing about chalkboards is that they're actually kind of a pain. I had a chalkboard seven years ago when I started at the school I work at now. There was chalk dust EVERYWHERE, on the desks, all over my hands, and then sometimes even -- gasp! -- on my face! Ultimately that would result in a very embarrassing conversation with *that* seven-year-old brave enough to tell me that I had, in fact, a chalk mustache.

Actually, I'm traveling down memory lane here and I am totally having a flashback to 7th grade math class when our teacher would half sit on her stool and half sit on her chalkboard ledge. Well, you know what happened next. And let me tell you, seventh graders will NOT tell you that you have a chalk mustache -- or a chalk ring around your rump.

[Divider%25202%255B5%255D.png]

I posted on instagram the other day that I made some giant custom teacher Melonheadz for my aide, principal and me. I've been dying to put them up, but I forced myself to focus on finishing up my classroom purge before I start the fun stuff. so for now, I have them printed and laminated and ready to go.  Melonheadz Clip Art is ah-dorable!





[Divider%25203%255B5%255D.png]

I don't want this to sound like a complaint, because surely it is not (okay, actually it is...), but my little guy is kinda-sorta sometimes driving me a little crazy.

Backstory: he's 16 months and loves to run around and certainly has developed a mind of his own. But seeing as he can't talk (other than mama, dada, yeah, and ball), he's desperately trying to communicate. So he screams. LOUDLY. I'm trying to be patient. He's my sweet little guy and I adore him. But by 4 pm, when I need a nap, and he needs a nap, and Emily needs a nap, and the whole world needs a nap, well, we are over it.

Exhibit A: Conversations with a toddler

James:  EAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Mommy:  What do you want James? The cup? Do you want the cup?
James: (pointing) EAAAAHHH!!! AHHHHHHH!!!! EAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!
Mommy: What is it? The phone? Do you want the phone? Do you want the cup?
James: (LOUDER) AEAAEOIRULAEJR:OAIUWEOIDNFL:KSDJFO:IEWJRLKMDFFLIFJSERKLMKASLDJOIERMSLJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Falls to the floor rigid and screaming]
Emily: (hands him the cup)  Mommy, he wanted the cup.
James: (laughs and takes the cup)

I know, I know, once he starts talking, I'm going to wish we could go back to him being the little babbler... I mean, screamer. Okay, maybe not so much. But I'll miss him being so little.



But seriously, that face. I die.


[Divider%25204%255B5%255D.png]
I finally gave in and bought some new caddies from Lakeshore. I NEVER buy plastics from Lakeshore, but I didn't like the ones from Really Good Stuff [blasphemy, I tell you!] and I couldn't find any in the Target Dollar Spot.

[I think I'm actually forbidden to go to Target because of how much money I spend every time I go. But really I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed 5,000 Dr. Seuss erasers!!!]

The caddies I had were in pretty bad shape considering I have had them for 5 years. And it gave me great pleasure to chuck them in the trash as I purged through my room. I made some primary colored labels to match our SUPER 2nd Grader theme and then tied some ribbons, thanks to Amy Lemons' super cute caddy-inspiration.




Divider 5

Do any of you use Words Their Way? Last year, I started using the program in my classroom and saw huge changes in my students and their ability to decode words in both spelling and reading. We had a pretty solid schedule of activities. We had a seven day rotation which ended with "Sort, Glue, Now We're Through!" [They loved that it rhymed!] But this year, I want to do something a little more engaging. I've been working on this activity that I hope that have on TpT soon, but the basic overview is that I have made BINGO cards for the kids. They'll be laminated so that they can mark their choices with an expo marker and at the end of two weeks, they can clean it off with a baby wipe. There are 24 different activities [and of course, the free space], and I want my kids to work towards completing a "double bingo" over the course of two school weeks.

My plan is that for the first month of school, I will spend time going over each of the activities one at a time, so that by October, they'll be independent. This will also give me time to inventory. Did I mention I have 36 kids this year?? THIRTY-SIX. It'll be fine, honestly. Usually the bigger the class, the easier they are; however [and this is a HUGE however], that's a lot of inventories to go through!!

Actually again, it'll be fine. Because I've been using the Techy Teacher's Automatic Spelling Inventory! I LOVE it!

Primary Automatic Spelling Inventory Template

[My brain goes through this crazy train of thought with 90% of things, so it's no surprise I'm exhausted by 4 pm.]

I digress... Here's a little preview of my soon-to-be product, FREE in my shop! :) The full version will have an explanation of each of the activities, 6 different bingo cards, bulletin board and pocket chart headers and games. I'm also hoping to provide reading samples, too, but that's a little further down the road.

Words Their Way/Spelling Activity FREEBIE!

I think this activity can be used for any spelling program given you have different spelling patterns on your list.

And a Question -- How do you all organize your stickers? I've tried the accordion envelope thingy, but I forget about my stickers. Right now, I have them in an open plastic dollar tree basket, separated by theme, but it's not my favorite look. I'd love to hear how you do it!!

You guys... I know I shouldn't even say this [because so many of you have already started or are starting this week], but it's crunch time here. Next week is my last "free" week. Translation: I'll be in my classroom all week with my kids hoping they don't touch anything or mess up my organized chaos. I'm starting to panic immensely just a little.

16 days and counting!!!

7 comments:

  1. Love everything! I wish I had time this year to make all the fun, cute things, but I am busy cleaning up after a teacher who retired and left me a MESS. Oh, and we should get Andrew and James together so they can be screaming buddies. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny!! I've been there before... my first year of teaching ever the same thing happened to me. And the other teachers used my classroom to store their stuff. It took forever to get it out!! I'm sure your room will be adorable still!!

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean about chalkboards. Chalkboard font= super cute. Chalkboard in classroom= super annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you through Teeny Tiny (love her!!) Love those caddies - super cute! I wholeheartedly agree about Lakeshore *shaking head* but you gotta do! I think it's justified a bit because you had the others for so long. :) I LOVE LOVE that spelling bingo! I'm most certainly going to grab the freebie and look forward to seeing the whole shebang! Question: When a student gets a Bingo, what happens then? If it's a WTW thing, I'm not completely familiar.

    Apple Blossoms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for stopping by! Would love to have you as a follower! :D I'm so glad you love the spelling bingo! So in my head, I'm thinking that if a certain number of students get double bingo (which they probably all will or at least get close, since I'm giving 2 weeks to complete), then I'd do a read aloud. I love using reading as a reward :D The pack I'm hoping to finish this week will explain more. xo :)

      Delete
    2. Looking forward to it. Started following you already when I posted :)

      Delete